Sunday, August 9, 2009

Jozi Book Fair

I attended the Jozi Book Fair held at the Africa Museum in Newtown today.



I had an opportunity to meet some of the established writers and poets like Zukiswa Wanner, Phillipa de Villiers at the Roundtable discussion chaired by Pumla from Wits.

I must state that I was dissappointed at the turn out of people that attended but all in all it was quite an enlightening and eye opener for me as a new writer trying to find my feet.

It gave me an understanding of the reality that most black women writers in South Africa are faced with today.

It really got me thinking on the decision why I chose to be a writer and I realise that my reasons for being a writer stem from the overwhelming need to fulfill my purpose in live.


The purpose of living and not just existing.
Making a difference, touching lives through books and reading.

I do not have any illusions of what I am faced with, the tough process of finding a publisher and the tedious process of having one's work published.


Attending the Roundtable discussion at the Book Fair definitely removed any such illusions. anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment